Turmeric (Curcuma longa) is a member of the ginger family and native to Southeast Asia and India. The orange-yellow colored rhizomes (underground stems) and roots, with their earthy, potent and slightly bitter flavor, are often used in cooking and nutritional applications.
The most significant bioactive compounds in turmeric are fat soluble polyphenolic pigments called curcuminoids, which are responsible for turmeric’s distinctive orange-yellow hue. Turmeric is also a very good source of iron, potassium, magnesium and zinc, and contains some of the essential fatty acids omega-3 and omega-6, which are not produced by the human body and must be obtained from foods.
Many high-quality studies show that turmeric has major benefits for your body and brain. Many of these benefits come from its main active ingredient, curcumin.
Below are a list of health benefits of turmeric and curcumin:
- Turmeric contains bioactive compounds curcumin, which is a natural anti-inflammatory compound. It has powerful anti-inflammatory effects, however, curcumin is poorly absorbed into your bloodstream. It helps to consume it with black pepper, which contains piperine. Piperine is a natural substance that enhances the absorption of curcumin by 2000%.
- Turmeric can increase the antioxidant capacity of the body. Oxidative damage is believed to be one of the mechanisms behind aging and many diseases. Curcumin is a potent antioxidant that can neutralize free radicals due to its chemical structure, and those antioxidants can protect your body from free radicals.
- Curcumin can boost brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Curcumin boosts levels of the brain hormone brain-derived neurotrophic factor, which increases the growth of new neurons and may help fight various degenerative processes in your brain.
- Curcumin is a potent anti-inflammatory compound and it may help with arthritis.
- Curcumin may help delay aging and fight age-related chronic diseases.
Turmeric and especially its most active compound, curcumin is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.
Brain and Brawn's Performance Golden Latte can help you incorporate this wonderful herb and spice into your daily life, to replenish, repair and support your mind and body from within.